Italian Eggplant Parmesan
Prep time: 1 HourCook time: 45 MinInactive time: 30 MinTotal time: 2 H & 15 M
- 2 large Eggplants
Salt, to taste
Plain Flour (use Almond Flour for a low carb alternative)
Olive Oil for frying
- 500 g (8.8 - 17.6 oz) Mozzarella Cheese
Homemade Italian Pasta Sauce recipe below
Homemade Italian Pasta Sauce
- 800 grams can (14.1 ounces) Tomatoes, diced or you can use Passata (pureed tomatoes)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons Spaghetti Bolognese Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons Sugar (optional) I add it to the sauce when there is a tart taste from the tomatoes
Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a pot.
- Bring to boil then turn down the heat.
- Stirring constantly, allow to simmer for about 35 minutes
- You can use a stick blender to make it smooth. Or leave it chunky if you prefer.
- Thinly slice the eggplant (4mm / 0.15 inch thick) and lay it on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
- Then lay another piece of paper towel over the top of the first one. Layer another lot of sliced eggplant over that and sprinkle more salt over the 2nd layer.
- Keep going until all the sliced eggplant is on the paper towel and salt.
- Leave for 1 hour. This will extract the bitter juices from the eggplant.
- Preheat oven to 180 c (350 f)
- Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in a frypan.
- Coat the eggplant in plain flour then put straight into the frypan once the oil is a moderately hot heat.
- Cook until the eggplant has become a golden colour on both sides.
- Keep adding oil to the frypan as you use it.
- Drain the cooked eggplant on a paper towel to remove the oil as soon as you remove it from the frypan.
- Keep going until all the eggplant has been cooked.
- On the base of the dish add a scoop of pasta sauce and spread it out.
- Place a single layer of the eggplant over the sauce - slightly overlapping each slice.
- Spoon some of the pasta sauce over the eggplant so its no more than 1cm thick.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the sauce.
- Repeat assembly method 2 -5 until either all eggplant pieces are gone or until the baking dish is nearly full.
- Bake until its a beautiful golden on top.
- Once cooked allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with a side of salad.