TFAYA WITH LAMB TAGINE AND COUSCOUS
Prep time: 30 MinCook time: 2 H & 30 MTotal time: 3 Hour
- ½ cup Raisins
- 6 Onions, thinly sliced
- 80 g Butter, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger, ground
- 1 tsp Moroccan Ras el Hanout
- ½ tsp Turmeric, ground
- ¼ tsp Saffron
- cooked Couscous, to serve
- 1 kg Diced Lamb, cut into 5cm cubed pieces
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric, ground
- 1 teaspoon Cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Harissa
- 400 grams can Tomatoes, diced
- 500 mls (2 cups) Chicken Stock
- 400 grams can Chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- Season lamb with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat add the sliced onion and cook until soft and transparent.
- Combine in the pan turmeric, cumin, paprika, harissa, tomato paste, tomatoes, chicken stock, chickpeas, and lamb.
- Once simmering, cover the pan and allow it to cook on low for 2 hours.
- In a bowl of warm water soak the raisins for 30 mins.
- In a frying pan add onions, butter, and 1 cup of water.
- Cook on low for 30 mins until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Drain the raisins and add to fry-pan with the onions.
- Then add honey, ginger, cinnamon, Ras el hanout, turmeric, and saffron.
- Cook for 25 mins stirring it occasionally so it doesn't burn or stick to the pan.
- The liquid should have evaporated and the onion mix should be a golden colour.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve over the couscous with the lamb tagine.